N. Korea notifies Japan of plan to launch satellite between Wednesday and Dec. 1: report
简介North Korea has notified Japan of a plan to launch a space rocket between Wednesday and Dec. 1, Reut ...
North Korea has notified Japan of a plan to launch a space rocket between Wednesday and Dec. 1, Reuters reported Monday, as the recalcitrant regime is preparing for what would be its third attempt to put a military spy satellite into orbit.
The North apprised Japan's Coast Guard of the planned launch in the direction of the Yellow Sea and East China Sea, according to Reuters.
South Korea has said Pyongyang may go ahead with the launch as early as "this week or so," while urging the regime to "immediately" stop the launch preparations.
The North initially planed to make the third launch attempt in October following two botched launches -- in August and May. But it did not press ahead with the plan last month, raising speculation that it might need more preparation time.
The North's launch preparations drew keen attention amid speculation that Russia might have provided military technology and support to the North in return for the North's supply of military equipment and munitions for use in the war in Ukraine.
Seoul and Washington have warned the North against the launch, which they say would be a violation of UN Security Council resolutions banning any launch using ballistic missile technology.
Lt. Gen. Kang Ho-pil, chief director of operations at South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Monday that Seoul would take "necessary measures" should the North go ahead with the launch.
Observers said that the North appears intent to secure intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance assets as it is far behind the allies in ISR capabilities despite its focus on developing an array of formidable weapons systems, including submarine-launched ballistic missiles and tactical nuclear arms. (Yonhap)
An online threat claiming a bomb had been sent to Yonsei University in Seoul sparked a midnight scra ...
필립 라차리니“이스라엘과 하마스 간 충돌로 인해 수많은 팔레스타인 난민이 가족과 친구 등 사랑하는 이들을 잃고 살 곳까지 사라졌다.”필립 라차리니(사진) 유엔 팔레스타인 난민구호기 ...
The legal battle between the K-pop girl group Fifty Fifty and its agency Attrakt continues to intens ...
- Celltrion's Zymfentra to make US debut in February
- [Photo News] 2023 Sea Art Festival returns to Busan's Ilgwang Beach
- S Korea, UAE to hold aviation talks over potential increase in bilateral flights
- [Exclusive] 'Game of Thrones' publisher inks deal for Korean books for first time
- Leeum Museum to restore Korean artifacts from overseas institutions
- Election watchdog faces calls to apologize after failing security test
Industrial output, retail sales, investment all fall in Oct.: data
尹 보선 첫 반응 "선거 결과서 교훈 찾아, 지혜롭게 변화를"
GS Caltex, Posco team up on biofuel
Yoon says improved relations between S. Korea, Japan are people's will
CHA to expand assistance for buried cultural heritage excavation
Samsung owns largest No. of Israeli subsidiaries among S. Korean conglomerates: report
- Kia management, union reach tentative wage deal to avoid strike
- Response to Yasukuni visits underway: official
- Seoul shares open lower on tech, battery slump
- US toughens rules on exports of advanced computing chips to China
- 유승민 “안철수·이준석, 초상집서 상주끼리 그만 싸워라”
- S. Korea, Latin America to discuss ways to boost trade, ICT cooperation
- Biden to visit Israel as war in Gaza sparks humanitarian crisis
- [Our Museums] Discover wisdom of hanok at Eunpyeong History Hanok Museum
- [KH Explains] Shipbuilders scramble to secure labor force amid booming industry
- Industry minister asks refiners to use fair pricing policy amid Israel
- HDC to spur digital innovation for efficiency, safety
- AmCham reaffirms Korea
- Celltrion wins UNDP tender to supply anticancer treatments to Turkmenistan
- Director touts Netflix's ‘Daily Dose of Sunshine’ as warm tale for adults
- 北 ‘환적지 이동’ 정황…석도 인근서 10월에만 10건 포착
- N. Korean envoy rejects report on Hamas using N. Korean arms as 'groundless'
- Posco secures W6tr supply deal from Lotte Energy Materials
- [Herald Interview] Journey to find her voice has brought Vittoria Yeo to peak performance
- On verge of closing, rural school tries to lure students with financial benefits
- [Korea Beyond Korea] From history and K
- Asiana Airlines delays decision on cargo business sell
- ‘홍범도·양평고속도로’ 야당 쓴소리에 윤 대통령 주로 경청
- Floor leader of main opposition party voices disappointment at Yoon's budget speech
- 北 오죽 돈 없으면…유럽서도 방 뺀다, 주스페인 대사관 폐쇄
- SK chief calls on board members to help CEOs make balanced decisions
- Kakao taxi
- NK closes embassy in Spain after shutting down 2 missions in Africa
- US lawmaker submits bill requiring Pentagon report on allies' defense contribution
- Epitaph plaque for wife of first Korean diplomatic minister in US returns to Korea
- Davichi to return with new single next month