Exports gain 2.2% from Nov. 1
简介South Korea's exports rose 2.2 percent on-year in the first 20 days of this month on growing de ...
South Korea's exports rose 2.2 percent on-year in the first 20 days of this month on growing demand for semiconductors and vehicles, data showed Tuesday.
Outbound shipments reached $33.79 billion in the Nov. 1-20 period, compared with $33.07 billion tallied a year earlier, according to the data from the Korea Customs Service.
Per-day exports also went up 2.2 percent on-year to $2.18 billion during the cited period, it added.
Exports grew for the first time in 13 months in October. They advanced 5.1 percent on-year to $55 billion, driven by rising chip sales in the global market.
Imports fell 6.2 percent on-year to $35.21 billion during the first 20 days of November, resulting in a trade deficit of $1.4 billion.
The growth in exports was led by upbeat global sales of South Korean semiconductors and vehicles.
Exports of semiconductors, a key export item, advanced 2.4 percent to $5.41 billion during the first 20 days of this month.
It marked the first time since September last year that chip exports logged on-year growth during the first 20 days of a month.
On a monthly basis, semiconductor exports have fallen for 15 months in a row since August 2022 through October amid the industry downcycle.
Chip exports accounted for 16 percent of the country's total exports.
Auto exports surged 20.1 percent on-year to $3.76 billion.
Shipments of petroleum products inched up 0.4 percent to $3.05 billion, and exports of electronics jumped 25.6 percent to $430 million.
But steel exports fell 9.5 percent on-year to $2.23 billion, and those of auto parts fell 3.6 percent to $1.14 billion.
By destination, exports to China, the top trading partner for South Korea, fell 2.4 percent to $7.23 billion.
Exports to the United States, however, jumped 15.7 percent on-year to $6.59 billion during the cited period, and those to Vietnam climbed 1.4 percent to $3.11 billion.
Exports to the European Union lost 4.1 percent to $3.18 billion, while those to Japan increased 10.8 percent to $1.63 billion.
"Semiconductor sales are forecast to mark on-year growth this month, which would help lead the growth in overall exports," an industry ministry official said.
The government has expected exports, the country's key economic growth engine, to bottom out and gradually recover and vowed all-out efforts to support exporters. (Yonhap)
The Cultural Heritage Administration announced Tuesday that the agency will expand its support for b ...
차준홍 기자최근 북한이 러시아에 보낸 1000개 이상의 컨테이너에 실린 무기가 포탄으로 가정할 경우 수십만 발에 해당하는 규모라고 16일 국방부가 밝혔다. 장기간 전쟁을 수행 중인 ...
A woman walking around in a box in southern Seoul's popular Gangnam has sparked criticism onlin ...
- National Orchestra of Korea's 'Winter Concert' to bring harmony of tradition, musicals
- 北, 日의 장거리미사일 조기 배치 추진에 “전쟁국가 일본 실체”
- US strategic bomber B
- 'Apgujeong Box Girl' sparks online debate
- Industrial output, retail sales, investment all fall in Oct.: data
- Cast of ‘Norma’ says opera difficult to sing but easy to enjoy
- [Today’s K
- Hanwha Ocean to raise capital for wind power business
- Han Kang wins Prix Medicis for 'I Do Not Bid Farewell'
- STX to supply lithium with South American partners
- ‘험지 출마’ 압박받는 장제원, 4200명 운집 산악회로 세 과시
- NewJeans to be first K
- 이동관 탄핵땐 방통위 1명 남아, 방송 재승인·재허가 올스톱
- [Herald Interview] Singer
- [Today’s K
- Jeju female divers 'haenyeo' listed as FAO agricultural heritage system
- Dog meat group threatens to release 2 million dogs near presidential office
- KT SAT to adopt Starlink for enhanced maritime internet
- Trilateral cooperation unaffected by US election outcomes: Goldberg
- China’s AliExpress eyes expansion in Korea
- [Herald Interview] 'Korea strives to set global standards for data protection in generative AI era'
- New NZ minister takes oath in English and Korean
- Disability rights group lodges complaint with rights watchdog over leader's arrest
- Hyundai Motor bolsters global partnerships through Expo campaign
- Korea to showcase advanced climate technologies at COP28 Dubai
- Korean Air orders 20 Airbus A321neo aircraft
- YouTuber suspected of livestreaming after taking drugs
- South Korea warns tit
- Jeju's autonomy is model for Western Sahara: Morocco
- S. Korea's heavyweights like ex
- Volvo EX30 debuts in Korea
- "조선의 샛별 여장군, 세계가 우러러 볼것"…北, 김주애도 우상화
- Criminal procedures for foreigners in Korea
- School violence drops, drugs among teens surge: police
- Seoul shares close tad lower ahead of BOK's rate decision
- Violinist Yoo Da