[From the scene] Nakwon
简介Nakwon Tteok House, a rice cake store in Nakwon-dong in Jongno-gu, central Seoul, traces its roots b ...
Nakwon Tteok House, a rice cake store in Nakwon-dong in Jongno-gu, central Seoul, traces its roots back to the waning years of the Joseon era (1392-1910). The story of Nakwon Tteok House begins with Go I-ppo, who sold rice cakes as a street vendor after learning to make tteok from the court ladies of nearby palace Changdeokgung.
Go's rice cake business continued with her daughter Kim In-dong, who was born in 1919. After the 1950-1953 Korean War, Kim moved the business to its current location in 1956 and handed down the family business to her daughter Lee Gwang-sun. Today, Lee and her husband Kim Jeong-gui run the Nakwon Tteok House with their son, Kim Seung-mo.
The Nakwon Tteok House's place in history has been recognized by the city government. In 2014, the Seoul Metropolitan Government listed the rice cake store as among the "Seoul Future Heritage."
“Nakwon Tteok House has served as an observer, witnessing the past, present and future of Seoul. It has contributed to transforming tteok from a royal treat to everyday people’s favorite,” the Seoul Museum of History says on its website.
The rice cake store has served the rich and famous, from Hyundai Group founder Chung Ju-yung to former presidents.
“Officials from Cheong Wa Dae often made calls to order rice cake. We served more than eight presidential offices but we never heard a single complaint," Kim, 81, said. "We're proud, of course, that our rice cakes are loved by higher-ups, but our biggest happiness comes from serving everyday people."
Although Nakwon Tteok House has been approached by a number of department stores with business proposals, Kim and his wife decided not to expand their business.
"We make tteok by hand rather than using machines," Kim said. "But they were interested in mass production, which would compromise quality."
South Korean food giant Samyang Roundsquare, under the leadership of CEO Kim Jung-soo, has been avid ...
10월 둘째 주 주요 뉴스 키워드는#이스라엘ㆍ하마스 전쟁 #美, 삼성ㆍSK 中공장 반도체장비 반입허용 #수능 선택과목 폐지 #강서구청장 보궐선거 민주당 승리 #김행 사퇴 #신당역 ...
김정은 북한 국무위원장(왼쪽)과 블라디미르 푸틴 러시아 대통령이 지난달 13일(현지시간) 러시아 아무르주 보스토치니 우주기지에서 회담을 진행하는 모습. 연합뉴스북한 중앙재판소 대표 ...
- [Global Finance Awards] Shinhan chief makes big ESG push
- [Herald Review] Lim Hyunsik takes fans for a musical dive into ocean
- Enhypen announces Nov. 17 comeback with 'Orange Blood'
- [New in Korean] Witches, ecofeminism, climate crisis: Tale of resilience and nature’s power
- Govt. posthumously confers state medal on late Ven. Jaseung
- SK Ecoplant recycles over 6,000 tons of batteries
Seoul shares open higher on Fed's rate pause hopes
Wage talks between Kia, labor union fail again
N. Korea slams Japan's plan to move up US missile purchase as 'arrogant choice'
S. Korea, UAE strike bilateral free trade agreement
[Global Finance Awards] Going global essential in era of digital finance
Japan thanks S. Korea for Israel rescue effort
- Network error grinds government network to halt, restoration still in progress
- 한총리, 공공기관 전산망 마비에 “인력·장비 총동원 신속복구” 지시
- Yoon attends IPEF summit to discuss regional economic collaboration
- Negotiating members of Indo
- SK Telecom CEO shows confidence in AI
- Woman faces prosecution after demanding marriage from V
- EBS' new nature doc to explore symbiotic relationship between nature and humanity
- Hyundai Motor becomes first brand to sell cars on Amazon
- S. Korean shares snap 3
- Yoon, Japan's Kishida agree to cooperate in hydrogen sector
- Omega X to return with 3rd EP ‘iykyk’ next month
- S.Korea's largest
- Seoul shares open lower on tech, battery slump
- Is Blackpink leaving YG?
- “이게 KF
- [Herald Interview] Chile, Korea need to boost global lithium value chain: minister
- Ruling party to launch innovation committee after crushing by
- FSC lays out plan to boost pet insurance enrollment
- [Our Museums] Discover wisdom of hanok at Eunpyeong History Hanok Museum
- '2023 Box Gallery Exhibition' by Youth Impact shows art made of discarded paper
- [KH Explains] Shipbuilders scramble to secure labor force amid booming industry
- S. Korea, US, Japan stage trilateral maritime interdiction drills for 1st time in 7 years
- Gimbap and hanja cramming: Life of Korean Studies students in Paris
- Scholars shed light on late Samsung chief’s management initiatives
- Foreign workers' deaths get weak sanctions
- [사진] 수도권 상공 출격한 미군 B
- "위성사진까지 대조한다" 밭에서 4억원어치 보물 캐는 사람들
- Enjoying Halloween in Itaewon sparks debate online
- BTS' Jungkook headed to Paris as MTV EMA nominee, performer
- Number of deaths in cycling accidents soars